Thursday, April 8, 2010
Resurrection Rolls
I don't know about the rest of you out there, but I sometimes struggle with Easter. What I mean by that is, letting the kids have fun with the Easter Bunny and their baskets but also remembering Christ and what Easter is really about. For that reason the Easter Bunny comes to our house on Saturday, a tradition from my family that I insisted on when we got married, so Sunday we focus on Jesus. This year I thought I would try something new that I had found at The Idea Room called Resurrection Rolls. Saturday night we rolled out some rolls while we talked about the crucifixion and what happened afterwards. We put large marshmallows on the rolls and wrapped the dough around them, like the linen wrappings on Christ's body, and then put the pan of rolls in the oven. Then Brandon and William taped the oven shut, sealing the tomb. Sunday morning I baked the rolls and we had them for breakfast.
Here is the plate full of rolls and Caitlyn looking so happy.
The coolest part-when you break open the rolls they are hollow. The marshmallow is gone. (This made Caitlyn very sad because she wanted to eat the marshmallow but it made the rolls sweet.)
William was quick to point out that the marshmallows had melted. But it was fun to talk about the rolls being empty like the tomb was Easter morning. William has told me that he wants to do this again next year, so it make become a tradition, and it was fun to hear the kids tell me what they knew. William could tell me the details of the story, why it was important, while Caitlyn got right to the point, "Jesus loved us."
3 comments:
I'm with you on separating the Easter fun from what Easter really means! I like the rolls idea - did you really leave them to rise all night? And they didn't get too puffy? I'll have to try it sometime, it's a great object lesson.
I did leave them out all night, there was one that had unwrapped because it got really puffy but it was easily fixed. But the others were fine and they all tasted good.
Hello there, I have never ever heard of resurrection rolls before. that is so cool! We love you. Mom Isle
Post a Comment